Friday, 21 September 2012

All Summer In A Day

My favourite short through all times was very hard to get hold of in "the old days" (read below). Now it can be viewed via YouTube. Enjoy!

I think the sun is a flower,
That blooms for just one hour.
Ray Bradbury, All Summer In A Day

And this is what I wrote about this film, on my old webpage, back in 2004 (including comments):

FROM KLEVSTUL.COM IN 2004:
All Summer In a Day

All Summer In a Day - the best short ever made?

Around 20 years a go I saw (on NRK) a film I never would forget. A film I have though about for years, but didn't remember anything about it than that is was about a young girl, living on a planet where it was raining all the time. She believed there would be sun, and the others didn't. I remembered it as a very sad film. I won't write more, otherwise I will reveal the story. This is with no doubt one of the most (or maybe the most) powerful film I've ever seen. After searching the Internet, with keywords like: "girl, planet, rain, raining all the time" I finally found it, the film based on Ray Bradbury's story with the same name: All Summer in a Day.

I think the sun is a flower,
That blooms for just one hour.

Links:

Information:
Another discussion forum about this film
Information on Internet Movie Database (imdb.com)
Short description about the film [domain inactive]
Ray Bradbury's story All Summer In a Day [domain inactive]

Where to get it from:
You can try to buy it here... (B. C. Learning connection) [domain inactive]
... or here (DVD / VHS) You might try to contact these people to get it.
... or here (VHS) [not found any longer]
... or here (Ohana Learning) [domain inactive]
These have a 16mm print (ACMI, Australia)

Other:
Google it

Note:
It is not easy to get a DVD of this film since "the DVD format is only available to UK educational establishments due to copyright restrictions." I've tried but didn't manage. However I got hold of a VCD version (thanks Laura). So: If anyone manage to get a DVD of this film, drop a line in this forum and let us know how!

Replies:
[ fk | 2004/03/29 - 14:31]

All Summer In a Day
For some reason, this movie (short film) has etched itself into my mind for many years. I haven't seen it since I was 6 years old (on 16 mm). Thanks for the links to its presence on the web. I'm trying now to order it on vhs so I can back it up it to dvd (and other digital formats). If you know where it may lie in the digital domain....e-mail me.
[ Steven | 2004/05/17 - 18:44]

All Summer In a Day
I asked my previous school (The Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne, Australia) to order one DVD. It wasn't done before I left, but if you're in Australia go and check with the VCA library. They might have a copy now...
[ fk | 2004/05/18 - 14:54]

All Summer In a Day
I'm another one who saw this film when i was young, and it deeply affected me. i was recently talking with a friend, who mentioned a film she saw that moved her deeply when she was young, and it was this one. neither of us knew what it was or who it was by, but as we both remembered it, we both ended up in tears. I think it was the most deeply touching, beautiful film ive ever seen.

i'd dearly love to see it again. if anyone finds a source, especially if its DVD, please let me know.
[ ben | 2004/09/16 - 08:59]

All Summer In a Day
it must have been 15 or more years since i saw this movie and it still haunts me. i hope someone starts selling it
[ ethan beckley | 2006/11/17 - 05:05]

All Summer In a Day
Hey,

Here is an edited clip of the tv show All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury!

www.vimeo.com/clip:86377 [page not found]
[ Idiom | 2006/12/21 - 13:41]

All Summer In a Day
Thanks a lot Idiom, nice one! Haven't seen it online before at all. If it wasn't for the copyrights I could have added the entire film to YouTube.com. Note: If you watch the clip above you'll miss out a lot of the film. So you shouldn't watch if if you want to see the entire film (which I highly recommend).
[ fk | 2006/12/21 - 15:19]

All Summer In a Day
Any chance that you'd be able to send a copy of your "All Summer in a Day" VCD to me, all expenses paid, of course? I am aching to see this movie again, and to share it with my daughter and son. Thanks so much in advance...LJ
[ LJ | 2007/01/05 - 17:19]

All Summer In a Day
I am yet another person who saw this amazing film as a young girl. I have thought about this movie for years, and have been searching for any information about it. Thank you for your research and links, and please add me to the list of people who would love to get a copy of it!!!!!!
[ Ana | 2007/03/16 - 20:44]

All Summer In a Day
Is there any way you would be willing to share the VCD copy? I will pay for postage or whatever.
[ Lisa Day | 2007/05/29 - 03:57]

All Summer In a Day
I'm amazed... I too have thought about this film since I was 7 years old as it was the first film that I remember that moved me to tears. If anyone would be able to get me a copy on DVD I would be happy to pay the costs and postage. It would mean I could finally see the whole film again after spending many years thinking that maybe I would see it again on TV - which I never did. I have just spent a while searching "planet raining, etc." and it made me smile to see that I was not the only one who has kept such fond memories of this film from an early age.
[ Rebecca C | 2007/06/23 - 21:32]

2 comments:

1. Takk, Frode! Har sett den bare én gang, men husker den også SVÆRT GODT. For den gjorde INNTRYKK. Det er et sånt minne som stadig dukker opp fra bakhodet.

Nå skal jeg jammen se den igjen en kveld. Det er ganske farlig egentlig å se opp igjen sånt som man husker fra barndommen. Presepsjonen som barn og som voksen er ganske forskjellig, men er noe bra oppdager man bare nye aspekter ved det som man ikke så som barn.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, jeg tror alle som så denne på NRK som barn husker den godt. Gjorde et enormt inntrykk på meg også. Man bør virkelig benke seg ned når man skal se den igjen. Fullskjermvisning må man også kjøre.

Jeg var veldig spent når jeg så denne på ny. Angående persepsjon, det var veldig interessant hvordan jeg husket filmen fra jeg var liten, og hvordan jeg oppfattet den nå. Forskjellene var store! Så ja, det er skummelt å se slike ting igjen.

Allowed HTML tags:
<b>bold</b>
<strong>strong</strong>
<i>italics</i>
<em>emphasis</em>
<a href="">hyperlink</a>

Please, show the courtesy of identifying yourself when adding a comment. Anonymous comments will, most likely, be removed.